Oct 04 2010

A Huge Honor: I Am Joining the Team at ABA!

Published by at 10:19 am under Birding,News about me

This morning, I’m sharing some of the biggest, most exciting news of my entire life: starting November 1, I will be the new President of the American Birding Association! Kenn Kaufman broke the news here on his estimable blog. Here, too, is a pdf of a letter from ABA Board Chair Dick Ashford announcing the good news. I want to sincerely thank David Hartley at ABA and  for his efforts to pull these communications together on short notice and under personally challenging circumstances. And as for Kenn, well, my gratitude knows no bounds.

So what’s next? I’ll be moving to Colorado Springs in a little less than a month! Liz will join me there soon after.

Both of us are so excited we can hardly stand it. Not to mention reeling at the thought of how we’re going to wind up our commitments here in Delaware and embark on a new chapter of our lives in a matter of weeks.

More information will be coming out soon. For now, I hope you’ll share my excitement and enthusiasm. And I hope you’ll join or renew your membership with ABA.

Good birding to all of you!

39 responses so far

39 Responses to “A Huge Honor: I Am Joining the Team at ABA!”

1. Nateon 04 Oct 2010 at 10:33 am

Congrats Jeff! Good luck in your new position! It’s been a long time since there was this much excitement around an ABA announcement with the word “president” involved. ;)

Really looking forward to the ABA’s renaissance!

2. Christopheron 04 Oct 2010 at 10:33 am

In my humble opinion, this is the best move the ABA could’ve possibly made. I understand that others in competition for the job were certianly able and estimable candidates, but it is easily seen from the comments flying around the web in the short time since this was announced – from Facebook to blogs, Twitter to e-mails – you have the full support, congratulations, and thanks from the membership – both existing and several who I know are now going to join.

Once again, congratulations!!!

3. Dawnon 04 Oct 2010 at 10:50 am

Congrats Jeff! Lots of excitement going on here in Cyberspace a this great announcement!

4. Bill Stewarton 04 Oct 2010 at 10:54 am

Platinium Rolex is what the ABA just picked for their new leader!!

I’m so damn happy for you, the ABA and all of us birders that need your type of leadership!

Bill

5. Vickieon 04 Oct 2010 at 11:02 am

Congratulations Jeff! What a wonderful new endeavor for you and a true asset for ABA!

6. Mikeon 04 Oct 2010 at 11:24 am

Congrats, Jeff! I’ve been sitting on my renewal notice for a few weeks, but I will renew today. Looking forward to watching (and participating in) this next era of ABA history!
    -Mike

7. Susan Gets Nativeon 04 Oct 2010 at 11:52 am

Boing boing boing boing!!!

8. Shawneenon 04 Oct 2010 at 11:54 am

That is so awesome. How very, very exciting. I now have hope that ABA will flourish under your guidance. Congratulations on your new job, move, and a start to a new adventure.

9. Carlos Bethancourton 04 Oct 2010 at 11:56 am

Congratulation big time amigo!

We are so happy about this awesome news, you have a big challenge and we know you can do it, we will support you in every way we can…

Jeff you are the best!

10. Howard B. Eskinon 04 Oct 2010 at 12:20 pm

Hey Jeff,

Three times in one week. ;)

Congratulations and the best of luck! It looks like I finally have a really good reason to join the ABA!

Regards,
    Howard

11. Connie Kogleron 04 Oct 2010 at 12:23 pm

Congratulations Jeff! How exciting and encouraging. I hope you’ll love Colorado, I sure do!

12. Hilke Brederon 04 Oct 2010 at 12:45 pm

Congratulations! You are the right person to imbue the organization with new life!

13. Gyorgy Szimuly (Szimi)on 04 Oct 2010 at 12:56 pm

This is awesome. Congratulations. I am sure we will meet one day. :)
    Good luck in your new role.

Cheers, Szimi

14. Julie Zickefooseon 04 Oct 2010 at 1:48 pm

Cheering in Whipple! And I hear a faint cry of exhilaration from the jungles of the far East, down almost Under. Well done. Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy! Whoo–my head is reeling in empathy for the change coming your way. Let us know how we can help. Whipple’s not quite halfway, but we’ve always got a room for you!

Love,
    JZ and BT3( in absentia)

15. Bart Stephenson 04 Oct 2010 at 2:24 pm

Wonderful news! Congratulations Jeff. This will be great for the ABA and the industry. Wingscapes looks forward to supporting a more active and stable ABA.

16. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Detroit Lakes, MN, Donald Morse Jr. . Donald Morse Jr. said: A Huge Honor: I Am Joining the Team at ABA! http://bit.ly/8ZJuRG [...]

17. [...] with the news that one of the most dynamic and charismatic individuals to ever tote a binocular, Jeffrey A. Gordon, has been selected as the next president of the American Birding Association. As one who has [...]

18. Paul Baicichon 04 Oct 2010 at 5:03 pm

Bravo, Jeff!

You will need help to build a team effort at Colorado Springs and a network of ABA “cooperators” across North America. But, you’re just the person for the job.

Unfortunately, you also have an ABA Board dominated by some tone deaf members, those who have actually contributed to ABA’s decline over the past few years.

Still, I think your personal network, experience, and unique skills can overcome almost anything.

19. The New ABA President is…on 04 Oct 2010 at 5:48 pm

[...] New ABA President is… By Corey • October 4, 2010 • 4 comments …Jeff Gordon!  Congrats to Jeff, who will be an able and awesome American Birding Association President.  [...]

20. Beth Russellon 04 Oct 2010 at 6:37 pm

WOW! I could not be more excited for you, Jeff. You certainly deserve it and I look forward to your leadership. Shall we call you Mr. President now?

21. Lynne at Hasty Brookon 04 Oct 2010 at 6:49 pm

I’m very happy for you Jeff. Lead On!

22. Sheri L. Williamsonon 04 Oct 2010 at 7:32 pm

Woo hoo! What fantastic news! No reflection on anyone else who was under consideration, but I’m delighted that you were chosen.

To celebrate, I stopped by the Cake Wrecks blog and picked out a little something for you:

23. Ninaon 04 Oct 2010 at 8:01 pm

That’s great news, Jeff!
    Congratulations!

24. Dave Ironson 04 Oct 2010 at 8:15 pm

It was the bottom of the 9th and things weren’t looking so good for the home team after back-to-back strikeouts. Then, with a well-timed stroke of the bat, the ABA Board and search committee cracked a towering home run into the cheap seats. Many of faithful, who had been streaming towards the exits and glumly heading to their cars, were stopped in their tracks by the unexpected roar coming from those who had remained in their seats. Back they came, flooding into the stadium to witness the improbable comeback. If you haven’t already, please lend Jeff and ABA your support by joining or renewing your membership today. Congratulations Jeff, the ABA leadership has made an inspired choice.

25. Life On The Edgeson 05 Oct 2010 at 2:25 am

Congratulations! Twitter was abuzz with the news earlier today, but I’m just now getting around to my Google Reader and, therefore, your blog. I’m sad to hear you’re leaving Delaware, but you must be so excited!

26. Jon Dunnon 05 Oct 2010 at 10:38 am

A wise choice and my sincere congratulations. The task ahead is enormous, not the least of which are getting back disaffected members from nearly a decade of neglect, and diplomacy will be needed to soothe an unhappy Staff. Lots of outreach is needed and the wall of separation between Board and Staff needs to be torn down as well as Upward Revew for the entire Staff. All aspects of the organization from the Board and the way it is functioning to the organization’s by-laws need to be reviewed and reformed. I sincerely hope that more of the membership will weigh in and assist and monitor the process of reform. After years of watching this organization wither on the vine, its nice to note a fresh fall breeze of optimism.

27. Kay Greeneon 05 Oct 2010 at 9:37 pm

Delaware’s loss will be ABA’s gain. Huge congratulations and many thanks for being such a knowledgeable teacher and birding trip leader over the years.

I know your family must be so proud!

28. Maureen Gallagher-McLeodon 10 Oct 2010 at 9:17 am

Congratulations! I am so happy for you! Great opportunities and new challenges ahead of you! The ABA will definitely benefit from your expansive knowledge, experience, and creativity! As an ABA member, I’ll look out for the facilitation of what individuals can do to support ABA during this time of transition.
    Greetings to Liz. I hope to see you again at N.R.B.F., WV next May!

29. BirdGalAlcatrazon 10 Oct 2010 at 9:46 am

So happy to hear this terrific news. Jeff, you will be just the breath of fresh air the ABA needs. Congratulations!

30. CNemeson 16 Oct 2010 at 11:58 pm

Congratulations, Mr. Gordon! As a relatively new birder, I didn’t know much about the ABA (aside from subtle rumblings of discontent here and there) but I can’t wait to learn more, become a member, and see how it evolves under your leadership. Best of luck!

31. Ray and Rozon 27 Oct 2010 at 2:50 pm

A well deserved honor for you, Jeff. You will do a great job. Keep us informed about your career. Congratulations!

32. Teri Martineon 08 Nov 2010 at 12:20 am

Wow, great news! Jeff, when I met you last spring — visiting with Denise Takahashi, and treated royally by you and Liz — I was dazzled by your knowledge and skills (ace birder, wonderful teacher, fine writer and photographer, great cook, perceptive about people) and by your generosity, warmth and humor. We’re very lucky to have you at the helm of ABA. All the best in this new adventure!

33. Barbara Mullinon 22 Dec 2010 at 8:43 pm

Wonderful news for you Jeff. Thanks for all the Lifelong Learning bird courses
    here in Lewes Delaware when I could get in and not just be on the waiting list.
    It has been a pleasure to have your expertise knowledge shared with us senior
    citizens. A whole world of nature out there we may have missed while we
    lived and worked in our careers. Thank you. Colorado will be lucky to have
    the likes of you.

34. Mark W. Larsonon 24 Dec 2010 at 2:37 pm

Congratulations, Jeff!
    I met you at the Hotel Villa Blanca at the Los Angeles Cloud Forest in Costa Rica in May of 1998 on my first trip to CR. We were disappointed that there were no quetzales to be found there, but you were kind enough to suggest that we go to Cabinas Chacon in San Gerardo de Dota. Now, I have been back to Savegre Lodge on all of my ten trips to Costa Rica and Marino is a good friend of mine. Thanks for the tip!

As an ABA member, I’m certain that the shot in the arm that organization needs is you, so best of luck and let me know if you are ever in Scottsdale, Arizona!

35. Steve Mooreon 25 Dec 2010 at 3:00 pm

Huge congratulations Jeff! All the best in 2001.

36. Steve Mooreon 06 Jan 2011 at 4:20 pm

Uh…also 2011. :)

37. Pedroon 05 Aug 2011 at 11:20 am

I think all of you ABA memebers would like this blog:

check it out!

38. frank walteron 31 Aug 2011 at 8:05 pm

dear sir, being a nature lover and former dapartment of natural resources employee I feel the need to speak on banned kiteboarding @ Hereford inlet, NJ due to the bird watchers influence. our sport takes us many areas of state, federal, and local access. believe these
    bans are unnecessary as there is no interference with nesting ares. our kites have been labeled “bird of prey” to the shore birds which do not take us more than 75′ from water’s edge. your input would be much appreciated

39. Durlan Ingersollon 30 Oct 2011 at 7:20 am

Congratulations Jeff from Grand Manan New Brunswick.

Durlan Ingersoll