Jul 21 2010

Brown Booby update: some cute photos + more precise coordinates

Published by at 7:32 pm under Bird Identification,Birding,Delmarva,Slower Delaware

I have bit of news and some eye candy to add to the story of Delaware’s first Brown Booby, which came aboard the Thelma Dale IV on Monday, 19 July 2010 and rode the boat back into the harbor at Lewes, whereupon it was taken to Tri-State Bird Rescue.

First, some eye candy. Here’s a shot taken by Captain Rick Yakimowicz of the booby that nicely illuminates its face and underparts.

Brown Booby ©Rick Yakimowicz

Here it is accepting a Mummichog–a kilifish commonly used for bait by local anglers. Does he look happy, or what?

Brown Booby accepts Mummichog ©Rick Yakimowicz

Brown Boobies are particularly fond of Flying Fish, so perhaps this qualifies. Below, a closeup of the booby downing a Mummichog.

Brown Booby eating Mummichog ©Rick Yakimowicz

Finally, a shot of the bird surrounded by food offerings. Brown Boobies like squid, too.

Brown Booby topside ©Rick Yakimowicz

The bit of news I have is a more precise read on the location where the booby came aboard the boat. According to Captain Rick, it was at  38:52  X  75:09. Plotting that  on Google Earth, I come up with the following:

You’ll see a little green tree icon to the left and below the yellow booby pin–that’s Broadkill Beach, Delaware. Lewes, where the boat docked, is close to the yellow flag below the pin. The big finger sticking down from the upper right corner is, of course, Cape May, New Jersey.

Thanks very much to Captain Rick Yakimowicz for the information and the terrific photos.

10 responses so far

10 Responses to “Brown Booby update: some cute photos + more precise coordinates”

1. Bill Stewarton 21 Jul 2010 at 7:55 pm

Great stuff Jeff!! Extremely thorough and the record should be accepted based upon the pics and coordinates. So, if ‘our’ booby is healthy and needs to be released, how and where will have to be addressed. I have heard of volunteer pilots that do trips with all sorts of birds to return them or transport them to their native habitats.

2. Sheri L. Williamsonon 21 Jul 2010 at 8:11 pm

What a sweetheart, and so lucky to have found some helpful humans. Hope his health is as good as his plumage looks and that he can be returned to the wild soon.

3. Dan Waldenon 21 Jul 2010 at 8:27 pm

Thanks for the pictures you take. I read often but have never commented before.
    Keep up this good work!

4. Paula Gonzaleson 22 Jul 2010 at 5:08 pm

Thank You Jeff and Captain Rick Yakimowicz! Glad to see the brown boobie found nice humans to care for it! I love the pictures!

5. Nick DiPasqualeon 22 Jul 2010 at 11:13 pm

He is a handsome devil. It is a he, isn’t it?

6. Joe Ericksonon 23 Jul 2010 at 8:54 am

What amazing shots. I just discovered your blog a couple weeks ago, Jeff, and I love it. Great photography~

7. BirdGalAlcatrazon 09 Aug 2010 at 3:20 pm

This is fantastic and heartwarming. I love the shot of the “happy” booby. Indeed, he looks like he’s never had anything quite so delicious!

8. dguzmanon 13 Aug 2010 at 7:51 pm

Wow, Jeff! I’m glad the bird is safe.

9. animal supplieson 18 Apr 2011 at 5:53 am

Wow, Jeff! I’m glad the bird is safe. This is fantastic and heartwarming. Extremely thorough and the record should be accepted based upon the pics and coordinates. So, if ‘our’ booby is healthy and needs to be released, how and where will have to be addressed. Thanks for the pictures you take. I read often but have never commented before.Keep up this good work!

10. bennysmithon 08 Oct 2012 at 5:53 am

Wow, it is sooo lovable, thanks for sharing!

white azalea